For as long as I can remember my mom has been baking these chocolate chip cookies!
This was not an easy feat for our family as we all like our cookies a different way, some like a more crispy cookie, while some (ME!) prefer a nice soft and chewy cookie, this recipe gives you both!
I am not sure where my mom got this recipe, but I’m sure it didn’t come out of a book considering when I asked her for this recipe she simply closed her eyes for a second, then looked up and spouted out the recipe…just like that! When I then asked her to confirm the measurements of the ingredients her response was “ya about that, I never really measured, it’s not an exact science you know”.
What I do know is that my mom has the great ability to adapt to what her family likes, being the very loving mom she is, so for that I thank her for this very versatile recipe that’s filled with hundreds of happy memories!
2/3 cup of softened butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2) Beat the butter, white sugar, brown sugar and egg together in the mixer on speed 4, until smooth and fluffy.
3) Add vanilla and beat in just until mixed.
– I’m not entirely sure why the vanilla gets mixed in last, but this is what my mom did, so I will continue this “tradition” 🙂
4) Add the flour, baking soda and salt just until combined.
5) Add the chocolate chips and mix only until they are incorporated.
6) Scoop dough onto baking sheets in 1 1/2 inch balls.
– I use an ice cream scoop for this, a very quick way to get the dough onto the sheets!
7) Bake for 8-10 minutes
– If you like a softer cookie, bake for 8 minutes, for a more crispy cookie bake for 10 minutes.
8) Let cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to completely cool.
This cookie recipe is a great base for other cookies such as oatmeal chocolate chip or peanut butter cookies, which is what makes it so versatile.
I hope you enjoy these as much as I do!